The Certified Franchise Executive™ Program (CFE) is a career development program offered by the Institute of Certified Franchise Executives under the International Franchise Association Education Foundation. It provides franchise professionals the opportunity to grow professionally and reach a recognized standard of excellence in the franchise community.
How the CFE program came to the Philippines
The Certified Franchise Executive Program (CFEP) country's franchise sector was brought to the country by PFA Chairman Emeritus Samie Lim to professionalize the country's franchise sector, thus, strengthening the position of the Philippines as the Franchise Hub of Asia.
The mini-MBA on Franchise Management was first conducted in the country in 2001. In 2002, PFA formally affiliated with the US-based Institute of Certified Franchise Executives (ICFE) to allow the Association to conduct the CFEP at discounted rates. This agreement was reached in a meeting between PFA officials Lim (then Chairman) and Bing Sibal-Limjoco (then President) with Cheryl Babcock and John Reynolds, President of the Institute of Certified Franchise Executives (ICFE) at the 2002 International Franchise Expo in New Orleans. Thus, the solid partnership between PFA and ICFE was born.
Mini-MBA on Franchise Management
The Asian Institute of Management (AIM) has been the permanent venue for this franchise executive course, which has featured international franchise experts as speakers. CFEP has four modules in a cycle.
- Module I by George Heenan, September 23-25, 2001
- Module II by Charles Weeks, September 9-10, 2002
- Module III by Cheryl Babcock founding director of International Institute for Franchise Education (IIFE), July 13-14, 2004
- Module IV by Philip and Linda Shunk on July 12-13, 2005
- Module I by Robert Justis, Ph.D., "Father of US Franchising and Small Businesses" and director of the International Franchise Forum, July 11-12, 2006
- Module II: Exporting your Franchise System and Building Strong Operations, Training and Support Program by Jennifer Roberts, founder of Roberts Consulting Services & FranchiseOpeations.Com, USA, July 2-3, 2007
- Module III: Formula for Success by Christopher Simnick, president and founder of Synergy Franchise Group, LLC, July 7-8, 2008
- Module IV: Leadership through Coaching and Collaborating by Cheryl Babcock, founding director of IIFE in the H. Wayne Huizenga School of Business and Entrepreneurship at Nova Southeastern University and executive director of International Society of Franchising, June 29-30, 2009
- Module I: Strategy for Managing Sales, Systems and Performance by Christopher Simnick, July 12-13, 2010
- Module II by Cheryl Babcock, September 26-27, 2011
- Module III by Jeff Sturgis, founder and president of Franchise System Advisors, July 23-24, 2012
- Module IV by the expert on franchise relations, Christopher Simnick, CFE, July 15-16, 2013
- Module I: Franchise Relationship Masterclass by Greg Nathan, July 14-15, 2014
- Module II: Focused Training & Support by Harish Babla, CFE, June 8-9, 2015
- Module III: Strive for Success - Setting Goals and Meeting Expectations by Lynette McKee, founder of McKeeCo Services, July 18-19, 2016
- Module IV: Franchise Sales & Development Formula for Success by Chris Simnick, July 17-18, 2017
- The July 16 & 17, 2018 program welcomed Dr. Benjamin C. Litalien, CFE, the Founder and Principal of FranchiseWell, LCC, and President and Director of the Social Franchise Institute, an association dedicated to providing education on franchising to the non-profit sector. Dr. Litalien is also an Academic Advisor for Entrepreneurship and Franchise Programs at Georgetown University’s School of Continuing Education.
- The Part II of the CFE Program was the Franchise Management Seminar which was held last November 5 & 6 and was facilitated by Mr. Jason Gehrke, MBA, CFE. Mr. Gehrke is the founder of Franchise Advisory Centre and the Director for International of Franchise Council for Australia. Meanwhile, last March 25 & 26, 2019, we welcomed back Dr. Litalien.
- Last October 2 & 3, CFE hold the Franchise Management Seminar facilitated by Chris Pflueger, the CEO of Franchise Sod, LLC.
- This Coming March 23 & 24, 2020, we will welcome back Mr. Greg Nathan, the Franchise Relationship Expert.
The CFE designation is a mark of distinction that offers graduates a wide range of important benefits as follows:
Educational opportunities that provides in-depth insights into every aspect of franchising.
A symbol of leadership and accomplishment, the CFE designation is highly regarded by the franchising community. Use it with your name on stationery, business cards and all forms of address.
A Professional Standing:
The CFE designation brings a highly professional level to communications and contacts. The certification shows not only many years of experience but also a commitment to continuing education to meet today's challenges.
As a CFE candidate, you will have opportunities for ongoing dialogue with fellow CFE candidates and CFE members.
How to become a Certified Franchise Executive™
Becoming a Certified Franchise Executive begins with the strong commitment and desire to develop your expertise and broaden your knowledge base. Once you have made the resolution to acquire this recognized credential, the process is easy.
CFE Program Structure
As a CFE candidate, you build expertise and program credits through participation in ongoing ICFE sponsored educational programs.
These ICFE programs include:
- Seminars covering a variety of franchising topics
- Franchising conferences such as the IFA Annual Convention and the Philippine Annual Franchise Conference (PIFCE)
- IFA sponsored franchising events such as Franchise Business Network
- Legal Roundtables and Franchise Development Seminars
ICFE Certification Requirements
A minimum of 3500 credit points is needed to qualify for the CERTIFIED FRANCHISE EXECUTIVE (CFE) designation. Granting of the CFE Designation to qualified candidates is determined by the ICFE Board of Governors. CFE candidates earn credits that are applied toward certification. These credits are earned in the following areas: